Who should apply?
Producers who have not left cover crops undisturbed throughout the winter more than three times in the past five years.
To apply you must have
- A verified complete 4th Edition EFP or a peer-reviewed 3rd Edition EFP
Eligible activities and expenditures
- Cost of seed for cover crops seeded across an entire field to provide undisturbed cover over winter months (e.g. red clover, oilseed radish, mixtures)
- Cost of seed for cover crops seeded in priority erosion prone areas (e.g. areas prone to water erosion, knolls on sandy soils) to provide undisturbed cover over winter months
- Cost of seed for cover crops that are harvested or grazed, provided a minimum of 6 inches (15 cm) of cover crop growth is left intact over winter
- Costs of planting cover crop incurred by the producer (in-kind) or custom applied (dedicated pass only)
- In-kind contributions to a maximum of $2,000
Ineligible activities and expenditures
- All ineligible activities and expenditures as detailed here
- Costs for cover crops where growing cover crops and leaving undisturbed over-winter is a routine practice that has been used by the farm business at least four times over the last five years.
- Costs associated with mechanical or chemical termination of the cover crop
- Fertilizer and crop protection costs
- Crops that will be harvested or grazed leaving less than 6 inches (15 cm) of cover crop growth over winter or cover crops that will be fall tilled
- Alfalfa seed, winter wheat seed or seed for other commodity crops
- Seed mixes containing invasive plant species (see invadingspecies.com/plants/)
- Equipment purchase or modification costs
- Seed produced by the farm business applying for funding
50 per cent, up to a maximum of $10,000
- A Letter of Review or a Certificate of Completion for a 3rd or 4th Edition EFP
- A dated photograph of the cover crop established in the field must be submitted at time of claim
Merit assessment criteria
- Project addresses risk identified in EFP Action Plan
- Degree of risk reduction estimated to be achieved through project
Other useful information:
- Applicants may be eligible to receive funding for cover crops up to three times on the same fields (separate applications must be submitted for each program year).
Edit date: August 29, 2018